Monday, January 10, 2005

Travis is off to Africa. Why?

I had intended to begin this blog with witty and wise words about my trip to Africa, but I’ll set that intention alongside the other best laid plans of mice and men.

I leave Wednesday, January 12 for Africa. If you don’t know why I’m going, here’s a snippet from our family newsletter:

--snip--
What comes as a surprise to us is that it seems as though our next step forward will carry us across the ocean to Africa. Two years ago Leslie and I sat across the table from two godly African ministers who had become our friends. Frederick, from Uganda, said to us in his slow rumbling voice, “You must come to Africa. We do not need you; you need us.” Festus, from Kenya, agreed, and they spoke of how time spent serving with them would shape our family for ministry in the United States.

That conversation captured our hearts and imaginations, and the seeds planted that evening have begun to sprout. Festus has since returned to Kenya as the Vice Principal of a small provincial school of theology, and he has invited me to come join their faculty for a year as a guest lecturer. Additionally, I have been invited to explore opportunities at four other theological colleges in Kenya and Uganda. The result is that in January of 2005 I am planning to spend two weeks in Africa to meet with these schools and discern whether this is indeed the next step for the Hines family.

Our African brothers and sisters have much that they can give us in terms of how they see the world, how they live the Christian life, and how they understand and love God. Leslie and I want to learn from them, and we find ourselves with the unique opportunity to do that very thing. Teaching in Africa would also enable me to absorb and apply what I have learned at Trinity, and living in Africa would mold all of us as we engage a culture so different from our own.
--snip--

If I can get access to the Internet during my travels, I hope to add to my blog as the trip progresses. Check back here for updates, prayer requests, and some pretty darn witty and wise words. Maybe.

No comments: