Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Extra Thoughts


  • One of the highlights of my trip was my dinner with the provost of Mukono cathedral. I knew I was in a special place when one of the women welcomed Frederick and me with a joyful ululation and a short dance. It is a household of about 15 people, and all were very kind in their reception of me. One thing I noticed in particular, however, was how the provost (Stephen) served his family. Ugandans often wash their hands before dinner by having the wife or one of the children pour hot water over your hands into a basin. Stephen was the one to wash most of our hands, and he did several other small acts of service throughout the meal.

    The discussion over dinner concerned the nature of authority, and I learned why Stephen serves the way he does – it is how he understands authority. Authority is given to one in order to raise others up, to serve and equip them, and never to dominate.

    Our time together ended with singing and prayer. Oh, the singing! It was what an American always wants to hear – the alternating leading and echoing, the intricate harmonies, the rhythms created with hands and voices. What was particularly sweet was watching their faces; almost all of them had their eyes closed as they worshipped God. It wasn’t music for the sake of music; it was worship.

    The men of the home walked Frederick and me halfway home through a moonlit night, laughing and speaking words of encouragement.

  • I had some very helpful conversations with several western missionaries at UCU. They gave me insight not only into life lived in Uganda, but also helped me think through some of the questions that I’ve been pondering concerning ordination.

  • Today (Monday, January 24), I said goodbye at last to Frederick. One of the greatest gifts of this time has been the renewal and deepening of our friendship. His help, his hospitality, his words to me have been more than African; they have been expressions of a love that touches me deeply. I will miss him.

  • I am not sure when I will post these three entries to my blog. I am currently sitting in the home of Mark and Rachel Meynell, British missionaries to Uganda. Mark is the academic dean of Kampala Evangelical School of Theology, my final stop on my tour of African colleges. The Meynells have graciously received me into their home, even though they weren’t expecting me due to a miscommunication. Tuesday morning I will spend with Mark at KEST, and then I begin my journey home. Please pray for me as I spend the next couple of days flying on no less than 4 airplanes.


No comments: