Thursday, December 03, 2009

Sweet Thoughts from Lucy

I just have to share this.

Lucy, our 3 year old, asked me to sing Keith Green's "There Is a Redeemer" at bedtime tonight.  As I sometimes do with our nighttime songs, we talked through the verses first, discussing what they mean.  I sang to her the last verse:
When I stand in glory
I will see His face
And there I'll serve my king forever
In that holy place
I talked her through this verse, saying that one day we will get to see Jesus face to face at last (she often wishes to see Jesus), and that we'll get to serve him as our king forever.

"Yes," she murmured through the pacifier in her mouth, "we'll serve him breakfast and lunch and dinner."

I laughed, then explained that there are other ways of serving Jesus -- loving people, singing songs to him, just being with him.  "And hugging and kissing him," she added.  "But I might feel a little too shy to hug and kiss him."

"Well," I replied, "what do you want to do when Daddy comes home?"

"Run and hug and kiss him!"

"When Jesus comes and you see him, you'll feel the same way."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is precious! You have wonderful children (but you already know that!)
sandy

Beth said...

Travis, what a beautiful story. What a beautiful Lucy!

God has often used the precious things that children say (my own child and others'!) to move my heart and to make me think about things in fresh ways. It struck me as I read this that Lucy's understanding of serving is pretty wonderful -- especially given the original meaning of "deacon." :-)

Hope ya'll are having a wonderful time in SC and finding much joy in renewing and making new partnerships.