Friday, March 25, 2011

Leslie's Lenten Reflection

Just before Ash Wednesday, Leslie sent out the following email to some family and friends.  I thought the rest of you would enjoy reading it as well:
With Ash Wednesday fast approaching, I had to come up with a plan quick!  So, for Lent this year I am giving up:  ice cream, chocolate, Chick-fil-A, chips & queso, margaritas, Shiner Bock, going to the movies, electricity, marshmallows, dairy, fajitas, haircut at the salon, TV, running water, antibacterial foam soap, and salmon.  (Random, I know.) 

What...?

Travis just informed me that Lent is about giving up things by choice... or even adding something to help you focus on Jesus more!!!  Well, I guess that changes my list then... I think I will add something after all... I'll start with a grateful heart.  Here's the real scoop about life in Uganda -- the things missionaries don't want you to know about... our secret lives in Africa... are you ready for it???
I only do dishes on the weekends -- every other day of the week someone else washes my dishes and cleans my house top to bottom.  Lunch is cooked for us 3 times a week.  Someone washes our car (inside and out) once a week.  I don't do laundry at all any more -- my house helpers wash (and iron!!!!) all our clothes (they even wash shoes). The weather is beautiful every day.The view from our front porch is astounding every day.  I never worry about getting pulled over for a traffic violation... might is right, you just push your way on thru and keep 'er going --  try not to run over any bicyclists.  You haven't tasted pineapple until you've had a Ugandan pineapple!  A lot of communication is non-verbal -- note the power of the raised eyebrows -- brilliant for an introvert -- less words!!!!  The land is lush and fertile -- year round gardening... if you provide the seeds, they will plant it and it will grow!!

So, those are just a few of the things I am grateful for this Lent, I'm also thankful for people who love us both near and far!

Stay tuned for Leslie's next post:  "So what DO I do all day?"

3 comments:

Shea Geisbert said...

That's seriously awesome. Kinda makes me want to move to Uganda :) Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Wonderful attitude Leslie! Thanks for the reminder. Love always, Denise

Terry said...

What a life!