Sunday, October 24, 2010

Joy in the Journey

In looking back over our blog entries, we've realized that we've written a lot about the hardships of coming to and being in Uganda.  There have been joys as well!  I asked each member of the family to tell me some of the joys they've experienced here, and here's the report, from youngest to oldest:


Julia 
  • I like playing with Judith, the young girl who accompanies one of our house helpers.
  • I like knowing the Ugandans' names better than Daddy!
  • I love riding in the car on the bumpy roads and running errands in town.
  • I still like yelling at all times and in all places.
    Lucy
  • I like school, especially playing outside!
  • Exploring Bushara (an island on Lake Bunyonyi.)
  • Drawing with chalk on our front porch.
Georgia

  • The grown-ups are all pretty kind.
  • I like a lot of the foods I've tried, especially posha (rice porridge - sorta) and the sweet potatoes here. The sweet potatoes here are better than the ones back home.
  • I love the lake.
  • I have made a lot of friends here.
Jesse

  • The scenery is beautiful and fun.
  • I like a lot of the food.
  • The people here are nice, even the kids.
  • It's great having the Morrows here.
  • The new way of living is fun. 
  • I love exploring Bushara Island with Micah.
Leslie

  • The love and acceptance from all our house-helpers.  We have adopted them, and they have adopted us.
  • The beauty of the surrounding hills.
  • Canoeing on Lake Bunyonyi and being near water again.  
Travis
  • Protase -- When he first offered his services to us one day after our arrival in Kabale, I was reluctant to accept and suspicious of his intentions.  Now, I look forward to his arrival each morning.  He helps with a ready smile, he can do just about anything I ask, and does more than I realized needed to be done.  He teaches me about the history of the region, culture, and agriculture, and models initiative and hard work.  And he enjoys and watches out for our kids! 
  • The sheer beauty of Kabale -- hills, trees, flowers, clouds, fog, blue skies, intense sun.
  • My Naot shoes.  Seriously.  I bought these shoes before I left, and they rival even my Leatherman for practicality and joy of use.  And they look good!
  • Watching Leslie and the kids laugh and adapt.  They do and say amazing things, and it's great fun when they do it with laughter.
  • The transformation of the Bukiga faces from intensely serious to bright eyes and smiles when we greet or respond to them in Rukiga, their native tongue.
  • Hearing the drums and the university students singing in the distance as I approach the chapel each morning.
  • Praying the prayer below with the whole family each morning before we walk out the door:
O Lord, be gracious to us; we wait for you.
Be our arm every morning,
our salvation in time of trouble.

The Lord is exalted, for he dwells on high;
he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness,
and he will be the stability of your times,
abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge;
the fear of the Lord is Zion's treasure.


Isaiah 33.2, 5-6


2 comments:

Martha+ said...

I am so blessed to read your joys too-- simple, common and full. WHat a priviledge to walk with you however at a distance and to pray and support however small the contribution. Our Lord is kind and you dear ones are precious to me and to many. Much love, Martha+

Hines Family said...

You're a faithful reader and pray-er!