Wednesday, May 19, 2010

We are Family

Last week a friend sent us the following YouTube clip.  We laughed and reveled in its humorous critique of this particular aspect of North American church culture.

 

This past Sunday, however, we walked into a church that...um...well, suffice it to say that they might not find this video so funny, or might even see it as a model for how to do church.  The lights were low ("I feel like we're in a movie theater," said our 4-year-old.), there were edgy green pillars that matched the power points ("Why do they have slimy green things up there?" asked our 6-year-old.), and the worship began with loud music and big drums.  As my kids continued asking questions, I could feel myself slipping toward the critical abyss into which I occasionally dive when visiting churches.  This was yet another moment, however, in which the presence and questions of my kids opened the door for the grace of God to redirect my thoughts, and reshape all our hearts.

I whispered to my kids, "Huddle up!"  They all leaned in to me, and I said, "I know this church is very different from what we're used to, but it's important to remember that these people worship the same God we worship.  They teach what we know to be true -- that Jesus is the Son of God, and that he's the only way to the Father.  And they love God, and their songs sing of that love.  They're part of our family.  It's like when we visit the different homes of your cousins -- their houses are different from ours, and they do things differently, but we're still all family."

After that moment, I was (mostly) able to let go of my criticism and join with my family -- my family seated with me, and my family seated around me -- in worshiping the Triune God and learning more about him.
(How we worship is indeed vitally important -- how we pray and worship does reveal and shape what we believe and who we are.  And we should keep our mind engaged in healthy critical, biblical, theological reflection.  (Once during the sermon I did lean over to Jesse and say, "I disagree with what the pastor just said.  What he said is not true!")  But it can be a quick trip from critical thinking to having a critical attitude, and the latter fails to recognize and embrace family.)




We had a wonderful time, by the way,visiting with family in Houston this past weekend.  On Friday, we left waaaaaaay early (like 5:20am early).  We dropped Jesse off at school, where he climbed aboard a bus for a field trip to NASA.  (What an amazing field trip, no?  Go Sunnyvale!)  We then zoomed ahead, and I dropped of the girls at Leslie's parents' home in Tomball, and then I kept on truckin' and met up with Jesse's school group at NASA.  He and I had a great time with two other guys from his class touring the Space Center.  Among the highlights was getting to watch the final launch of the space shuttle Atlantis!


While Jesse and I were at NASA, Leslie and the girls romped with the Tomball grandparents, enjoying games, hugs, gifts, and water slides!



We returned to the grandparents' house for a late dinner, and the unexpected fun of re-connecting with a blast from Leslie's past.  The next day began with early hang-time with Leslie's parents, then a fun rainy day walk to the local shopping area.  Not long after that Uncle James and Aunt Cheri (Leslie's youngest brother and his bride) arrived, and the kids could barely contain the hilarity of being around them again.  A few hours later we had a swim party with Leslie's second youngest brother's family -- Jon, Melissa, Dawson, Colin, and Landon.  It was absolutely wonderful to get to connect with so many (but by no means all) of the Montgomery clan!  Jesse and Dawson in particular hit it off, linking their DS's, then linking their hearts.

We returned to Sunnyvale Sunday afternoon to begin our week of preparation for our Colorado adventure at Mission Training International.  As we left, Georgia was feeling very sad.  "Why?" asked Leslie.  "I don't want to leave Tomball and go back to Sunnyvale!"  "See, Georgia, " responded Leslie, "that's the kind of girl you are!  You love the place, the people, and the animals you are with.  That will happen in Colorado, and in Uganda, too."

May it be so!

No comments: