Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Big Decisions and the Might of the Mite

As it comes increasingly possible that we will indeed leave for Uganda in June, we are confronted with the myriad of details that need to be added to our "To Do" list -- visas, wills, vaccinations, burial instructions, emergency evacuation plans, shipping items to Uganda, buying necessities unavailable there, final meetings with our team, connecting with potential partners....

In the midst of all this, there has been a detail that has moved from the periphery of our vision into the center.  Cross-cultural training.  We did some training with our missions agency when we first came on board, but that was 5 years ago.  Both our family and the Morrows have participated in cross-cultural work through the years, but only as short-term missionaries.  And, most importantly to us, our kids have received hardly any preparation at all!  We've done well in preparing them to leave home behind, but we have not done well in preparing them for what lies ahead.

So, after consultation with Global Teams and several trusted, experienced missionary friends, both the Morrows and we are going to three week training called SPLICE with Mission Training International.  It's a "three-week, pre-departure program...designed to help you–and your family–develop the practical skills and attitudes that will successfully take you through the challenging and rewarding process of being interwoven with another culture."  It's the "and your family" part that especially excites us.  We really want to help Jesse, Georgia, Lucy, and Julia grow in understanding and excitement with regard to their part in this mission that God has given us.

A significant challenge, however, is that we have to raise an additional (one time) $7000 for this training.  I've already struggled with worrying about where this money will come from, even though I know God will provide, as he has done again and again.  I was walking to the mailbox on Saturday with this struggle in my heart.  When I pulled out the mail, I saw an envelope hand addressed to our family.  I knew immediately that it was a check.

My first thought was, "Look!  God has already provided for us.  I bet it's a check for $10,000!"  Yep, that's what I thought.  So quick to focus on the big bucks.  I opened the envelope, and pulled out a check for $10.  (Note the absence of three 0's.)  Before disappointment could set in, however, I noticed whose signature was on the check.  Then I noticed the handwriting and the name on the the accompanying pledge card.

You know the story of the "Widow's Mite" out of Mark 12 and Luke 20?  The widow who gave  gave two pennies to the poor, all she had?  And how she was the one recognized by Jesus as having given an immense amount?  That's pretty much what that $10 check is.  The giver is a girl I babysat back in high school.  She's now a young woman who has endured much and works hard and makes very little -- but she loves Jesus a lot, and she loves my family.  And now she's supporting us monthly with a wealth that outmatches some of our biggest givers, and I know there will be a commitment, prayer, and a love that will accompany that gift through our years overseas.

As I carried that envelope inside, I also carried inside me a confidence that God will indeed continue to provide for his people through the love of his people.


Just for fun, here are just a few of those people:

 The Wickers, Austin friends and recent hosts

The Rev. Cliff and Cristine Warner, LONG time friends
and leaders of Christ Church (Austin), one of our supporting churches

 Family and long-time friends gathering at my parents'
home to hear the full story of how God is raising up a
generation of Ugandans to reach the world for Christ.

2 comments:

sandy said...

We are praying for you as the Lord "ramps it up"! So excited to see the list of partner churches growing. It is a daily prayer in our home for the Hines family. Lots of love to the six of you from the Ankers in Canada.

Brian Dennison said...

Hi! I am trying to see how to email you! I go to church with Layne Hansen in Savannah, GA, but am a missionary mom in Uganda (mukono-ucu)
since summer 2008. Also have 4 children! Yikes.
There is a family in Kabale whom we know (a bit through another missionary who was there for a year) and figure you will surely want to connect with them since there are not so many ex pats in Kabale.
I see Dan and Rosie button are also global teams missionaries and we are close friends with them at UCU.
The couple in Kabale is Craig and Claudia Smith with 2 children, close in age to yours!
You can find their info at www.crosslinks.org (they are from UK) and I believe their email is csmith@crosslinks.org
Maybe you have already linked up!
Anyway, wanted to introduce myself so you can ask away any questions about Uganda (though kabale is far from where we are!)
God bless you in your calling and I bet we will meet in Uganda one day...
Mary Jane Dennison
(web.mac.com/dbriandennison is our website and we are missionaries through SAMS-you know them from Ambridge I presume!!!)
Take care and look forward to being in touch soon!