Friday, November 20, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

Although I'm not thrilled about turning 39 (more on that later), I love daddy birthdays.  The days leading up to it are full of hushed voices and surreptitious card making and unintended hints and shouts of "Don't look in here!" and over-compensations ("Did you go into the basement?!  I mean, there's nothing down there, no surprise or anything, but did you go down there?  Did you see anything?!").

I was up first this morning.  Then Jesse came down for his morning tea, and immediately greeted me with a "Happy Birthday, Dad," followed by a sweet hug.  5 minutes later, Georgia came down with crazy  static hair and sleepy eyes and Paddington bear, and gave a "Happy Birthday, Daddy" and a hug.  Another 5 minutes, and then Lucy joined the growing crowd.  A quick whispered argument between the sisters ensued, then Lucy stood sullenly for a few minutes, and then out came a sweet "Happy Birthday, Daddy," and then she motioned me to come in close, and she gave me a kiss on my unshaven cheek.  That's a real gift from her -- she hates to kiss scruff, and I'm normally required to wait until later in the morning to give or receive kisses from her.  Leslie came down as I added two more tea bags, and gave me a hug as well.

The kids scattered, then came back with the cards.  Here's Georgia's:


 

The inside reads: "Happy Birthday.  Dad I love you and your a GREAT DaD love Georgia."

Here's Jesse's:


 

The outside reads: "For The Awsomest Dad Eaver."
The inside reads:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!!!
Once there was a dad. But he was no ordinary dad. He was the best and awsomeist dad ever!  His son thout he was cool, his daughters thout he was cool, and his wife thout he was cool. Why? HE WAS COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Dad, I do think you are cool, and it's true. Have a great birthday. From Jesse.
And Yoda is saying, "Have a good birthday you will."

And then Jesse gave me a present he had picked out himself.  Two brand new nerf swords so we could continue our evening duals.  (Our other swords are beginning to fall apart.)

After the older two left for school, Leslie, the younger two girls, and I slipped away to Cafe Des Amis in Sewickley for a birthday breakfast of yummy swiss & mushroom omelets, strawberry crepes, cappuccinos, and yogurt with fresh raspberries.



This evening we're off to a friends' house for dinner with a few friends.

I may not be thrilled about turning 39 today, but I do love doing so with my family around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your birthday was absolutely splendid -- how could it not be with such a precious and loving family! Happy birthday, friend. I'm so glad you are so wonderfully blessed!